We have now finished recruiting people for these studies:
- PALLADIUM – (Trial of new asthma inhaler)
- ARCHIE – (early use of Antibiotics for at risk children with Influenza)
- ALIC4E – (Antivirals for influenza like illness? An RCT of clinical and cost effectiveness in primary care)
- Garfield – An international study taking place in 55 different countries aiming to identify the best treatment for patients with newly diagnosed atrial fibrillation. It only involves an initial sign up appointment. The rest of the study is observational over the following 2 years.
- BIOTIPP (Brain Imaging of Opioid Therapy in Individuals with Persistent Pain) – a study aiming to find out whether Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) of the brain can help predict how much pain relief a person gets from taking opioids.
- TASMINH4 (Telemonitoring and/or self-monitoring of blood pressure in Hypertension) – a study looking into the potential to change blood pressure monitoring in future primary care where patients are monitored either in the surgery, at home or at home and using text messages to update their readings.
- INTENSE (Real world effectiveness of Lixisenatide and other intensification therapy in the management of uncontrolled type 2 diabetes mellitus) – a study monitoring how diabetes patients respond to increasing specialist medications when already on insulin.
- OSAC (Oral Steroids for Acute Cough) – a study aiming to find out whether giving people a 5 day course of steroid tablets can help treat their chest infection. Please click here to read about the results of this trial.
- 3C plus (Cough Complications Cohort plus throat swab) – a study looking at which people who go to see their doctor or nurse with a cough might go on to develop a chest infection (pneumonia).
- AUDIT (Alcohol Use Disorder Identification Test) – a study looking at ways of helping young adults lead healthier lifestyles and cut down on alcohol.
- BUMP (Blood Pressure Monitoring in Pregnancy) – a study looking at the feasibility of getting women to check their own blood pressure during pregnancy.
- EDGE (Self management and support programme for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) – a study looking at whether a mobile support programme designed for tablet computers might be useful for helping people with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Please click here to read about the results of this trial.
- HEAT (Helicobacter Eradication Aspirin Trial) – a study looking at whether treating a type of stomach infection called ‘Helicobacter’ in people who take aspirin might reduce their risk of developing stomach ulcers.
- HOLDFAST (a study of unplanned hospital admission for heart failure) – a study looking at ways of improving care and preventing hospital admission in people with heart failure. Please click here to read about the results of this trial.
- POWeR2 (Positive Online Weight Reduction) – a study looking at whether an online support programme might be effective in helping people lose weight.
- RCT2 – a study of steroid injections for shoulder pain.
- STILTS 2 – a study examining common and rare genetic variants associated with thinness.
- OxCKD1 (Empowering Healthy Lifestyle Choices in Chronic Kidney Disease) – a study looking at whether an educational programme specially designed for people with kidney disease helps them to make healthier food choices and cut down on the amount of salt in their diet.
- BWeL (Brief Interventions for Weight Loss) – a study aiming to find out whether GPs can help people lose weight by providing them with brief support or advice about this during their appointment. Please click here to read about the results of this trial.
- RetroMASTER – a study aiming to find ways of targeting treatments for type 2 diabetes at people in whom these are most likely to be effective.
- DARE (Diabetes Alliance for Research in England)
A study aimed at improving our understanding of diabetes and its complications.
- BARACK-D (Benefits of Aldosterone Receptor Antagonism in Chronic Kidney Disease)
Thank you very much to everyone who took part in these studies. We will provide links to their results when they become available.